Collis School (then Park Road Girls’ School) was founded in 1865 by Sarah Collis in a house in Park Road, Teddington. Initially, there were just 16 pupils, but this had risen to 71 by the end of the year. Boys were first admitted in 1871 and by 1875, there were 318 pupils attending.
Following the Education Act of 1891 and the introduction of free schooling, the school moved in 1902 to Station Road and was re-named accordingly. Sarah Collis retired in 1906 and the school was taken over by her niece, Mary Collis. The school was again renamed Christchurch County Primary School in 1937, before being finally called Collis School in 1960.
Collis School moved to its present location on Fairfax Road in 1972 and the old school building was completed in 1982 with a new nursery department. David Butterfield took over the Headship in 1991. In 2005/6 a new building (Harlequin) was built to catch up with growing demand for places in the local area. In July 2014 David Butterfield retired and Jane Way (the previous Deputy Head) took over as Acting Head teacher. In September 2015 to present Kevin Hogston became the new Head teacher.
The new Colliseum school building: a bid in 2014 to the EFA (Education Funding Agency) to rebuild the old EY and KS1 building was successful; this £6Million development was finally completed in July 2021.
The bulk of the building works took place from February 2020 until June 2021 which coincided with the Covid-19 pandemic.
We now have an excellent school environment on a very large site (31,000 Sq. M) and facilities which complements our curriculum.